University of California, San Diego, California
B.A., Computer Science
Additional programming languages: C, C++, Java, Unix shell scripting
System Administration: SGI IRIX, Compaq True64 Unix, Sun Solaris, HP-UX, FreeBSD, Win 95/98/NT/2K, Apache web server
Desktop applications: MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Project 98/2000, Visio
Certifications: Interwoven TeamSite System Integrator, Digital Unix System Administrator, Veritas HSM
Administrator, Veritas NetBackup Administrator
Senior Consultant Apr 2002 – Present
· Responsible for design and development of online economic simulation application targeted at high school to college level classrooms.
· Written entirely in Perl 5, this application utilizes CGI methods and a heavy MySQL database interaction through the Perl DBI module.
Sunnyvale, California Apr 2001 – Aug 2002
· Manage the Virtual Advisor application development project for General Magic’s client, OnStar. This is a complex speech recognition/content delivery/telematics system deployed in 58 GM and affiliate vehicle models.
· Responsible for a greatly improved customer relationship with OnStar through creative networking in the client organization and gaining executive-level support for much needed process changes between the two organizations.
· Designed and introducing new, standard processes for Change Requests, project deliverable timelines, QA test plans/results, bug tracking and reporting, etc.
· Responsible for scheduling (using MS Project 2000), prioritizing, requirement gathering, managing on-time delivery of documentation and functionality for 300+ Change Requests, in addition to 6 releases of major application functionality improvements.
· Responsible for communicating costs to customer as well as negotiating project priorities with customer during the contract based phase of the relationship. Responsible for ensuring all work assigned to engineers adhered to contract stipulations, recognizing when being asked for something outside of our agreed to contract, and effectively negotiating a mutually beneficial agreement to move forward.
San Diego, California Jan 2000 – Apr 2001
Project Manager, Senior Internet Applications Engineer
· Managed the design and implementation of an Interwoven Content Management system at Farmers Insurance Group. Project was completed on time and on budget for a very satisfied customer!
· Directed all discussions and negotiations leading to global content management consulting partnership with Zurich Financial Services.
· Project Manager and Senior Technical Consultant for Interwoven TeamSite Content Management software with several large clients (Honeywell, Channelpoint, AT&T Broadband, Allied Dunbar, Sapient, Zurich Financial Services).
· Participated in Business Development activities ranging from pre-sales technical discussions to planning long-term sales strategies.
· Project Manager for multiple projects involving end-to-end custom Java/J2EE application development. Managed engineering team and all client interface responsibilities.
Qualcomm, Inc. June 1999 - Dec 1999
San Diego, California
Consultant, Web Developer/Database Programmer (6 month contract position)
· Developed web interfaces to MySQL databases for the Networking division. Used Perl/CGI with DBI interface to create custom web tools for network administrators.
· Java/JDBC application development for statistics gathering utilities
· Migrated existing, Perl code to new database engines.
General Atomics April 1998 - June 1999
San Diego, California
UNIX System Administrator/Webmaster/Programmer
· Served as system administrator/programmer for all Digital UNIX and SGI servers/workstations in the General Atomics Fusion Group (400+ users). Interfaced with fusion physicists to solve technical configuration issues.
· Developed Perl scripts to automate many system processes and utility functions. Involved in simple kernel configuration for memory enhancement. Provided UNIX system performance tuning, monitoring and TCP/IP network optimization.
· Served as email system administrator, migrated email system using custom Perl script from a DEC VAX platform to Digital UNIX.
· Served as administrator of the Veritas NetBackup & HSM data archiving system.
· Provided user support for UNIX-based systems, as well as general UNIX and Exodus X emulator for Macintosh support.
· Installed, configured and maintained UNIX workstations, NCD X terminals, Macintosh and Windows NT/95 PCs. Served as NT/95 and MAC desktop support analyst.
· Integral in group-wide effort to enhance system security based on DOE requirements.
· Breakdown of effort included 70% UNIX system administration and 30% programming/web development.
California Space Institute at UcSD November 1995 - April 1998
San Diego, California
System Administrator/Technical Support Analyst
· Served in role as UNIX and MAC lab administrator for integrating multiple technical platforms and technologies. Interfaced UCSD’s technical environment to the NASA Space Shuttle program. Supported C and Shell programs.
· Interfaced heavily with research scientists and engineers.
· Modified NASA voice loop system, integrating CAT-V cabling.
· Supported all Windows 95/NT desktops running Office 97.
· Supported AppleTalk LAN on UNIX backend servers.
· Provided day-to-day Digital UNIX and Solaris system administration/monitoring.
· Supported secure LAN inside firewall with T-1 link to UNIX LAN, along with external interface to Internet and a MAC EtherTalk-LAN with a UNIX Server using AppleTalk.
· Performed UNIX system administration with Digital UNIX (Certified), Sun Solaris, SGI, and HP-UX. (Software, hardware installation & maintenance, performance tuning).
· Supported Macintosh/PC student lab administration with Mac 0S 7.x/8 and Windows NT/95/3.x.
· Performed network wiring installation, maintenance and Ethernet hub/router configuration and support.
· Performed advanced HTML programming including image maps, tables, animation, SSI, frames and forms.
· Managed multiple special projects, providing innovative solutions to unique problems for this premier research institution.
1993 to 1995 Non-industry Related
U.S. Navy 1987 - 1993
Electronic Warfare Maintenance Division Supervisor
· In-depth RF configuration and troubleshooting of Electronic Warfare Detection and Countermeasures suite.
· Served as manager over a group of ten Electronic Warfare technicians.